25 - What do we owe future generations?
Tue, Apr 18
We will begin our final unit on technology and the future today. We are beginning with a think piece by Sigal Samuel, for Vox. She proposes the idea that we have the same if not a greater moral duty to future generations. This is particularly salient with regard to climate change and the development of ethical tech.
Today's slides can be found here.
As we prepare for class consider the following:
- Is it unethical to focus on moral problems in the short term rather than having equal or greater regard for future generations?
- Do we owe more to future generations than the present?
- What do we owe future generations?
- How might engineers participate in promoting a good future for synthetic biology?
- How can scientists and engineers maximize the positive impacts of bioengineering and minimize the negative ones?
- Where might ethical thinking enter the design process of bioengineering?