21 - How might meaning show up in your career?
Tue, Apr 04
Guest Speaker: Louisa Conwill (CS Grad Student)
Today we'll be joined by guest lecturer, Louisa Conwill, a P.h.D. Student in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. Before coming to Notre Dame, Louisa worked as a software engineer on the Amazon Alexa team, she also was a FOCUS missionary for two years.
Louisa will lead a discussion on career discernment since she has worked both as an engineer and missionary.
The Learning Goals for Class Today:
- Understand how growing up in the meritocracy affects our career decisions
- Think deeply about what you desire from a job, and if the career path you're currently aiming for fulfills those desires
Today's slides can be found here.
Access via Perusall:
How Life Became an Endless, Terrible Competition, Daniel Markovits (Atlantic)
Amazon employees that listen to Alexa recordings can reportedly figure out a customer's home address, Lisa Eadicicco (Insider)
Professional Formation (V): Finding the Right Path, Opus Dei (OPTIONAL)
As we prepare for class consider the following questions:
- What do you want for your career?
- Do you need to find meaning and purpose in your job?
- How does the meritocracy shape what you want to do for work?